Another Akita and Other Going Ons

Sewed another Akita with leftover lightweight denim from the Moji pant sew.  The Akita silhouette looks good on me and, I really love this pattern! ❤️


(Sorry for the laundry in the pic — it was wash day).

And, for other going ons…

#1 Hurricane Hermine will make landfall in middle of nite, approximately 4 hours.  Also, we’ve just been alerted by our local tv broadcast and our phones of tornado warnings happening now and near!  Who can sleep?

#2 I’ve joined the McCall Pattern Blog’s Bomber Jacket Sew-Along!  Starts next week!  

I’ve had this purple corduroy in my stash waiting to become something beautiful and wonderful and useful!  I’m making 2 jackets in the purple for me and my Sissy!


The pic does not do justice for either fabrics – sorry!  The cord is a deep and rich purple and the silk plaid matches it perfectly and is vibrant!  I’m picking another lining for Sissy, Oh and I need to pick and purchase ribbing also.  I’m also using BurdaStyle Plaid Bomber pattern.


So excited to begin!  I have a 3-day weekend and will be cutting out the pattern and maybe fitting a muslin.

Stay safe!  Peace!

Double Moji Portion

Moji pattern can be found at the online magazine Seamwork, which I am a subscriber.  For 6 bucks a month you have a choice of 2 patterns that are approximately 1-3 hours to make! In addition, there are sizes for curvy girls too!  Also, I’ve always loved Colette patterns!


There are two versions of this pant and I made both. I opted out of the grommets at the waistband and made buttonholes instead.  I used size 14 and finished my seams with an overlock stitch.

My version 1 is a mint mystery cotton bottom-weight fabric thrift find for $2! Score!


My version 2 is a lightweight denim from my stash.  I also used a pretty floral from my scrap stash for inside the pockets.




Next time, I will go up a size to accommodate my fuller tummy (was just a tad snug); but I will still rock them!   Overall, I love this pattern and it comes together easily and quickly!  I will definitely make more!  

Peace

Green


Wanting to make more dresses for myself, my next selection was this TNT Burda Drape Neck Top and Dress.  I’ve made the top, but had never made the dress.  Supplies include:  green knit fabric that was gifted, and 1″ wide elastic.

I used my revised top front pattern for the dress front – it has the FBA.  I moved the elastic casing up to the waist – I didn’t want all of that blousing effect.  I am busty and have a short torso, all that blousing would not look pretty on me.

 And, I shortened the length of the dress about 6 inches.  Six inches may have been a bit much, I have a scant 1/2″ hem – WHEW!


It took about 1 1/2 hours.  Love a quick sew!  Love my green dress!  Can’t wait to put it in action!  Hmmmmm, maybe tomorrow!

 #summerofdresses

Until next time,

Happy Sewing!

Funky Floral Explosion and Everything That Sparkles Ain’t Gold…It’s Blue!

This is Seamwork’s Aires pattern!  Yes!  I subscribe to Seamwork Mag and when you do, you  will receive 2 credits each month to purchase patterns from the mag!  Cool, huh?!  I’ve always been a fan of Colette patterns, so this was a no-brainer to subscribe to the mag!

My thought/plan for sizing and alterations:  my waist is between XL and 2X, my hips will fit  Large (full tummy, no hips or a$$).  So, I will cut size XL and adjust hips to Large. 


I used the overlock/serger for most of the construction.  


Why I picked this pattern?  Unlike traditional leggings, these have panels in which you can use contrasting fabrics like a mesh, or whatever.  Even if you decide to use main fabric for all panels, it still gives an interesting look!

Well, I did not alter the hips to a large and just cut a straight size XL and they fit me perfectly!


I love them!  (I’m holding the waist, because I need to purchase more elastic for the waistband 😜). 

Happy Sewing!

Rectangles and Red Flowers

Purl Soho’s Linen Tunic (a free pattern).  I used a lightweight cotton with tiny red floral print.

As I was constructing the top, it started to look like a nurse’s scrub top.  The gathers at the shoulders made the difference, it turned out beautiful and I love it!  It was suggested to use lacing to gather the shoulders, but I opted for 1/4″ elastic.  I cut my fabric rectangles at 17 3/4″w x 33″l to accommodate my bust measurements but, I think next time I will cut the width down to 16 or 16 1/2″.  I also overlocked all four rectangles — for a “clean” inside finish.  This was such an easy and simple sew!

This top is great for summer…it’s breezy and feminine!
On to the next project…Happy Sewing!

Hi-Low Tank

I really need more tops!

McCall’s M6960, view B (w/o the overlay) in size 2XL (bust 46-48); my bust is 52″.  My fabric choice a vibrant yellow cotton.


To adjust for the bust without seeing/using a dart, I thought I’d be smart and use a 1″ vertical slash-and-spread @ the underarm on both front and back pattern pieces.  I also lengthened the front about 4″.  I did not make a toile!  For shame, for shame!


After cutting the fabric from the altered pattern, I ended up cutting the 4″ off the front. I had to use a 1″ seam allowance on side seams…too big of an armscye.


My notes for next time:  (1) pattern back to its original state; (2) pattern front to its original, but make a slash-and-spread of 3/4″.

Overall, I like my top and will “tweak” the fit; making it a “wearable” toile!


I’d like to make another in a drapey fabric, like challis!

Until next time…HAPPY SEWING!

Vogue 7862: “Today’s Fit by Sandra Betzina”

Source: Vogue 7862: “Today’s Fit by Sandra Betzina”